Written for Justice 2



Inhale exhale
Something that her son couldn’t do asleep
He is one of 300 from worldwide
Who suffered from Ondine's curse
What’s worse, There was no cure
She wanted him to breathe
But saying please, and paying fees, was never enough
Because she couldn’t pay them all
Even their “life support” didn’t give him the best
She was told “Sorry, but that's the best we can do”
Maybe it’s because she chose bronze instead of gold
Or because she decided she didn’t need it
She wished she could use the college money she never saved up for
But how was she supposed to know
That life Insurance costs $500,000
Now the money she gave away
Was taken to her son’s grave

His father was a drunk man
Hanging around drunk men
Doesn’t matter if his wife left
Doesn’t matter what his son did
He was surrounded by people of hiccups
With temptation in every doorway
Even in his mirror
He tried to clean it, thinking, a smudge won’t change who he is
Tried studying for final exams
but the stress was too much
And the drink seemed to whisper "just one"
Until 1 became 2
and 4 became more than he could count
And then the room started spinning.
Like the cycle, he was beginning to start living
payday, pay rent, save up, bills
So with nothing to do, and singing the blues
he walked down cemented sidewalks
with red, yellow, green, lights
Having no bills to pay, he asked for some change
Mumbling to himself
"Just one last sip"

When her mother kicked her out
she looked her right in her face and screamed
"You are not my son"
Because she was transgender
She liked to play with dolls
and wanted to wear dresses on Sundays
little things that stuck to her mother
but what crossed the lord's “law”
was when she said
"I am not a boy"
Her devilish self was kicked from her holy home
Now she struggles on her own
a boy begging to be seen as someone else
because she thought that she wasn't meant to be born a boy
and no one is sorry
because people decide to look away
because there is no acceptance for him
Now she says
"My religion has stomped on me"
Good thing Rahm thinks
That he should engage with the youth
Oh wait, that’s his second priority

"Christians are more than twice as likely"
"to blame a person's poverty"
because of "lack of effort"
or because you could have done better
The non-believers say
it didn't work out your way
that the circumstances weren't the best that day
that sometimes, there are things that no one sees
that religion shouldn't control someone's destiny
that it is hard to resist the temptation of ease
that some children can't breathe asleep

My poem is about poverty, and different ways that people suffer from poverty. A part of my family suffers from poverty and it is a real struggle. I tried to bring. Three different stories that are a cause of poverty. I used some perfect rhyme, consonance, and assonance. I used assonance in the first stanza, "But saying please, and paying fees, was never enough." There is a repetition of the vowel, E.
Perfect rhyme can be found in the third stanza, "Her devilish self was kicked from her holy home" and "Now she struggles on her own." Home and own rhyme. There is also a form of Anaphora in the first 3 stanzas. Near the end of each stanza, there is a quote from each of the main people, that I talk about. There is also a turn, in my poem. The last stanza, uses AABB rhyme, rather than no specific rhyme scheme. In my poem I spoke about Rahm Emanuel, who is the mayor of Chicago. He has a 48 page article of his second priorities. One of which talks about engaging with the youth.

The first that I created was very restricted, because I thought that if one stanza of my poem rhymed, than every other stanza had to rhyme. I also believed that if every stanza was 6 lines long, than every other stanza had to be 6 lines long. I used anaphora in my first poem, as well. I decided to start from scratch, by not using anaphora, not keeping a consistent amount of lines per stanzas, and not rhyming in every stanza. I decided to keep most of the ending from my last poem, because I personally believed it was a good wrap up. In the future, I am hoping to restrict myself less, and start being more free with myself. In the future, I hope to do more research about my political issue, so that my poem can be more political.

Comments