Written for Justice 3

Below is a video of my poetic piece. My poem is called Different Reason. Below the video is the text form of my poem, so feel free to read along!


Different Reason Poem Presentaition from AuraL on Vimeo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
DIFFERENT REASON

Inhale, exhale
His breaths were only heard in the daytime
Because he suffered from Ondine’s curse
But, she wanted him to breathe
But saying please and paying fees, was never enough
Because she couldn’t pay them all
Even though 7.25 a week should be enough
Their life support didn’t give him the best
She was told “Sorry, that’s the best we can do.”
Maybe it’s because she chose bronze instead of gold
She wished she could use the college money she never saved up
But how was she supposed to know
that life insurance costs $500,000
Now the money devoted to him
Was taken to his grave

She never knew it would be this way

His father was a drunk man
Hanging around drunk men
He was surrounded by people of hiccups
Some days he would see his father in his mirror
Tried studying for finals
But the stress was too much
And the drink seemed to whisper, “just 1”
Until one became two
And four became more than he could count
Then the room started spinning, like the cycle he was living
Payday, pay rent, Payday, Pay rent
Until paydays were gone
And there was no more rent to pay
so the streets became his home

He never knew it would be this way

When her mother kicked her out
She screamed
“You are not my son”
It was little things that built up
She loved to play with dolls
Wanted to wear dresses on Sundays
But what crossed the lord’s “law”
Was when she said
“I am not a boy”
Her devilish self was kicked from her holy home
Now she struggles on her own
A boy begging to be seen as someone else
And no one is sorry
Because people decide to look away
Because there is no acceptance for her

She never knew it would be this way

“Christians are more than twice as likely”
“to blame a person's poverty”
Because of “lack of effort”
Or because you could have done better
The non-believers say
It didn't work out your way
That the circumstances weren’t the best that day
That there are things that no one sees
That religion shouldn’t control someone's destiny
That it is hard to resist the temptation of ease
That some children can’t breathe asleep
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

ARTIST STATEMENT

My topic is about poverty, and the reasons why people succumb to the system of poverty. This is important for people to understand and acknowledge because poverty is the main reason why people become homeless. It is also the main reason as to why world hunger and thirst exists. A part of my family suffers from poverty, which has emotionally impacted me since I know that debt causes a lot of stress, and not feeling stable can become overwhelming.

The poetic devices I used were perfect, alliteration, consonance, and anaphora. I used rhyming and consonance to give the poem a flow, and I tried to keep it consistent, by not repeating the same words twice. Even though I did say “best” line to line near the beginning of my poem. I didn't use perfect rhyme in my entire poem because it would be distracting to those who watched me perform. This leads me to decide to use it near the end of my poem. It would also wouldn't keep the mood of seriousness if I made it rhyme constantly. I like the use of alliteration because it creates a flow in my poem. This also made it easier to memorize my poem. If I had more time, I would change my use of anaphora, because the line I used “He/She never knew it would be this way” was slightly unnecessary.

I think I projected my voice very well because people were definitely able to hear my poem. I didn't use a lot of facial expressions, even though it wasn’t necessary. The tone of my face was not meant to be a specific tone. I just wanted to share my poem and let others have their own reaction to my poem. I would also spend more time on my tone so that I can create a mood.

Comments