The Salty Truth

In our humanities course, Food for Thought, we learned about the origins of different foods, agriculture, herding, and foraging. We even went on an FE with a foraging expert named Dave. During the FE we learned about all kinds of edible plants that are commonly grown all over the city. This purpose of this project is to see the origins of the food that we eat in our food cultures. That is why, I have made a family tree not only my family's generation, but our food origin, and how it has changed from generation to generation. Completing this project has reminded me of old memories that I have of my family and the times that we spent together. I didn't any much on my father's side of our food culture, so I got to learn a little more about his history, and even my grandmother's history of moving to America. Completing this project was educational because I learned more about food and my family.

THE STORY OF SALT


FAMILY TREE


ALL's family isn't very dependent on me, salt, because I am not the most important ingredient in their food. On the left side of the image is a brief description of ALL's fathers side of her family. She talks about how her culture has affected her family and how it wasn't a very important part of her family's history. Unfortunately, she doesn't include much information on how affected her family. On the right side of the image, is a brief history of her mother's side of the family. Her mom's food culture has a greater impact on her because she would make this recipe almost every summer with her mom. I would also be a part if this great tradition, as I am the delicious seasoning, salt. Not all of the people in the family tree have listed their favorite food because their favorite foods are unknown. 

SOURCES USED

“History of Salt?” Gourmet Sea Salts and Bath Salts from SaltWorks, Inc., America's Sea Salt  Company, 2001

Sanders, DaVaun. "Salts in Ancient Egyptian Times." 25 April 2017. “Beyond The Shaker.” Salt Guide - History, 2018

“Salt Production and Processing.” Morton Salt

“Where Does Salt Come From.” Where Does Salt Come from?

Hansen, Zak. “The 12 Different Types of Salt + How to Use Each.” Wide Open Eats, 21 Mar. 2018

Comments