Come to Your Senses

In our class Stories, we looked at different origin stories. Some were about the origin of Earth, and the humans that live on it. For our first Action Project, we had to create a our own origin story. This is a story of a boy learning about the story of humans, and the 5 gifts that we are given, with the narration coming from the boy's grandpa.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“I can’t sleep. Grandpa, can you tell me a story? ” I ask my grandpa, as he rocked back and forth staring into the crackling fireplace. Grandpa whipped around his old eyes and squinted. He sighed and scratched the bothersome stubble on his face.
“The last time I told you a story was the day your head was hotter than bacon on sizzling oil. It would be quite nice to tell you a story now that you can remember it.” Grandpa replied with a genuine smile. He slowly lifted his aged bones off the rocking chair and followed me back to my bedroom. He tucked me in with my dark shaded blanket and then sat by the edge of my bed. He furrowed his brows, focusing his brain on the most inspiring story he could remember. His brow rested and he began to tell a story.
“When the universe had already born, and the stars were placed among it. A Traveler came across a white mist.” Grandpa Began
“Grandpa, what story is this?” I asked, confused as to what was happening.
“Hold it, boy, you asked for a story and you’re getting it. The more mystery the better.” Grandpa remarked with his raspy voice and squinted so hard I was sure if I had waved my arm at his face he wouldn’t have seen it.
“Now, where was I. Ah, yes, the white mist. The Traveler had come across this mysterious white mist. He could not hear it, for it was as quiet as space. There was no smell to the mysterious mist, and it had no divine smell. The Traveler thought to himself ‘surely if I walk this Land of Mist, I will find something!’ He glided closer to the mist and found himself within the mist. The Traveler was perplexed by his discovery and decided to do something that he believed he would never do again.” Grandpa said

GSS. 2018. 5 Senses
“What! What did he decide to do?” I asked looking at my grandpa eagerly.
Grandpa chuckled and said, “He decided to create life within the mist.”
“What kind of Life Grandpa?” I asked, becoming confused as I sat up from my bed.
“The Traveler began his creation of life. A planet of warm green, that smelled of pure dirt. The rain that created mud mushier than the snow that piled on our winter seasons. Rocks that had more colors and shades than the rainbow that glistened after a cold shower. Flowers that bloomed from the ground and smelled just like your grandmother after she took a floral bath. A powerful blue sea that held the most delicious fish. Deserts drier than the purest salt of the market! Which reminds me, we have to head to the market tomorrow, because we ran out of milk.”
Grandpa muttered and paused to think. I frowned, because I didn’t like it when grandpa got distracted by his own thoughts, and I lay back down on my bed.

“Grandpa! Keep telling the story, it was getting really good!”
“Sorry, my boy! I became distracted. Let us continue. After the creation of Eara- ”
“Wait. That’s our home! You’re telling me the story of how Eara came to be?” I said, surprised and disappointed that I didn’t understand by now.
“Yes, but there is more to the story! I can’t believe that you didn't realize until now. Now let me continue! Ahem. After the Creation Eara, The Traveler realized that he had nothing of his own that could enjoy what he had created.”
“So?” I asked waiting for what would happen next.
“So, The Traveler created the first human ever. He gave it hands and feet to feel the grass tickle him. The traveler gave him a nose to smell the roses and the honey that dripped from beehives. A mouth to taste the salt of the sea and the delicious food that the human would create. He gave it the gift of sight to watch the clouds go by and to see the blizzards that would form in the winter. Lastly, ears to hear the birds singing to the rhythm of the wind, whistling. That is the gift that we humans like you and me my boy have. ” Grandpa said, closing his eyes, and scratching his stubble.
“Woah, but wait, is that everything?” I asked, a little bummed that the story was over.
“That’s about everything my boy. If you want to know what happened to the traveler, he couldn’t stay much longer with the human. He left when the human could have understood what he was, and what he would do with himself. He would explore more, The traveler, and he was never seen again.” grandpa said and yawned.
“My boy, It is time for us to rest our eyes, but before you sleep I want you to know that I told you this story so you can understand that you should always listen to what you hear. Whether it is your own thoughts, me, or the buzzing of a bee. I want you to use all of yourself to the fullest, smell, taste, hear, see, and feel everything. Take on the world with the best of you. I love you, and good night.” Grandpa said patting my head, and pulling my blanket over my body. My eyes become heavy, and as I closed my eyes and said
“Thank you, grandpa, goodnight.” Grandpa had gotten up from my bed, and I could hear the bed creak from his weight leaving the bed. I heard the floorboards creak, and I could smell the smoke that had lingered in the room fade. I could feel the warmth of my blanket as it wrapped around me, and I soon drifted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you for reading my story, and I really hope you enjoyed it!

Comments