Stories Through Art

In our Writer's Workshop, we had to revise an old journal prompt. Rather than fixing grammar mistakes or misconceptions, we had to try to make something entirely new, or better than what we originally had. I chose a journal prompt that focused mainly on the art piece, and took it in a whole other direction. Down below is the progress of the draft turning into something brand new.

DAY 1

I had to think of something that had contrast. I knew I would not be able to think of anything to write, so I decided to think of something to draw. My very first idea was to draw someone looking very irritated/unhappy at a birthday party. I wanted to have the contrast of mood. I wanted to draw the person surrounded by joyful children and exciting activity. As I was drawing, I realized I wanted to make a story, and create more mystery with this person.

I made short statements in this story that was kind of describing the image. I wanted these statements to be obvious but important to the story. These statements kind of sound like a conversation, even though it was not my initial intention.

ALL (2018) My Old Journal Prompt/Draft

The main theme that I was trying to focus on was the mysterious part of this story/picture. Even though this piece is wavering and indecisive, I was experimenting with a lot of ideas, and fit them all into this draft.

This piece has strayed away from the initial intention, which was to make a grumpy person stand out in a joyful birthday party. The intention now is to create a mystery questioning who Claire is, and what their story is.

DAY 2

I chose to have my piece explore the garden. I intended to make a larger story and to do that I created two new images relating to the original image above.

ALL (2018) Additional Images/2nd Draft

DAY 3

To get a new perspective of what my piece is telling, I had a partner give feedback about the work that I have so far. My partner said a theme he noticed was death, and he was picking a dark energy from the drawing. He found very little spelling errors in the drawing, considering that there was very little writing.

DAY 4
My partner suggested I think about what I wanted to write before writing the letter. I couldn't finish the letter the way I wanted, but I think it still conveys an important message to the story. The next time I work on a project like this, I am going to really take into consideration what my partner had suggested. Below is the letter.

ALL (2018) Piece of Letter

Comments