Gender Equality With Mary Wollstonecraft

In my core class, Drama, we touched the topic of gender equality. We formed our own ideas and opinions on gender equality, and studied plays that expressed writers opinions on gender equality. We watched and read the play, A Doll's House, a well known play about a woman that faces an issue she has never had to face before. Nora, the woman in the play, learns a lot about the relationship between her and her husband and this is our response to the what she has learned, as well as what we have learned.



SCRIPT
ACT 1 SCENE 1

INT. IT IS THE AFTERNOON. NORA SITS ALONE IN A BOOTH ON A TRAIN RIDE. SHE IS CONTENT AND CALM AND AWAITS THE MOVEMENT OF THE TRAIN.


MARY:
(Walks down the train aisle and sits by across Nora in an agitated way. She scoffs and shakes her head continuously, and hands her hands folded on the table.)

NORA:
Pardon me, but you seem troubled, may I ask what is bothering you?

(Nora reaches with her hands and begins to sooth Mary’s hands, as she smiles at her.)

MARY:
Oh, forgive me for disturbing your peace, it’s just that the conductor refused to let me on until my “husband” arrived. It took me 15 minutes to prove to him that I was without a husband!

WILL BEGINS TO WALK DOWN THE HALLWAY BUT STOPS JUST BEFORE REACHING NORA’S EYESIGHT. WILL PAUSES IN HIS PLACE TO LISTEN IN ON THE CONVERSATION.

NORA:
You don’t have a husband? How do you manage yourself?

MARY:
(Confused fixes herself in her seat and looks at Nora questioningly.)

I’m sorry, I don’t think you told me your name, what was it again?

NORA:
Oh of course! My name is Nora.

MARY:
Well Nora, my name is Mary. Mary Wollstonecraft, and I am an independent woman. I do not need a man to help me “get by.”

NORA:
I meant no offense Mary, I am just surprised on how you can manage to do that. You must have lived in a wonderful family that cared for you!

MARY:
I have been the caretaker of myself and my family. Women shouldn’t have to feel inferior just because they’re women.

NORA:
Well, I grew up being taken care of by my father and now by my husband.

(Will shows himself to the Nora and Mary.)

WILL:
Sorry for chiming in, ladies, but I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation. Would you mind if I were to join in?

NORA:
Yes, of course! Please sit down.

(Nora moves farther down the booth seat, and pats the seat next to her.)


MARY:
Uhh, I guess…

(Will sits besides Nora.)

NORA:
Mary and I were just about to talk about our childhood. If you don’t mind continuing Mary?

WILL:
Thank you.

MARY:
I’m sorry? But is this a friend of yours?

NORA:
I have never met this fine gentleman in my life!

WILL
Thank you f—

(Mary interrupts Will)

MARY:
And you just let him join in on our conversations?

NORA:
I don’t see why not? I find it enjoyable to meet a new face.

(Nora turns her body to face Will)

What is your name?

WILL:
My name is Will, and your name--?

MARY:
Well, Nora and I were actually having a conversation. As I was saying, Nora, when growing up  I had to take care of my mother and siblings. My father was abusive, and they still called him a man.

(Mary glares at Will)

I had to take care of myself at the age of nineteen when I left my home, and I did quite well.

NORA:
And are you content with your decision?

WILL:
I was wondering the same thing.

MARY:
(Looks at Will) Yes (Look back at Nora), Nora, it was the best decision I have ever made. I was able to become who I am today, without any man controlling me.


WILL:
That’s quite an independent view.

MARY:
(Neutral tone) Thanks Will. For that unwanted comment.

WILL:
Please take that as a compliment, many women are able to do amazing things, and I think that they’re underestimated by men all the time.

NORA:
Well, I’m so happy that you are happy with the way you are living your life. I hope I can be just as happy in the future.

MARY:
Are you not happy now?

NORA:
Of course, I’m happy. At least, I should be happy, since I have such a loving husband that takes care of me all the time and knows the best for me!

MARY:
Your saying that your husband takes care of you? Not you yourself?

NORA:
But of course! I can’t do things on my own, my husband has to be there for me.

WILL:
I don’t mean to be intrusive, but it sounds to me like your husband does everything for you.

MARY:
He is right. It sounds like your husband does everything for you. If he knows the best for you do you know the best for yourself?

NORA:
He doesn’t do everything for me. I do things for myself, like...

WILL:
Do you just listen to what he tells you to do? Or do you think for yourself?


NORA
Of course I think for myself! I am human after all.
MARY
Well it sure sounds like you don’t. Does he really want the best for you  or does he use you as only a wife and not anything—

NORA
(tone becomes aggressive)You don’t understand the relationship I have with my husband.

MARY
(snarky voice)Well I sure do understand the relationship a man holds on a woman.

NORA
I don’t understand why it’s so important for you to be so interested in my relationship with my caring husband if you don’t have one yourself.

WILL
I think what your friend is trying to say is that you should become more open minded about the way your husband may be treating you.

NORA
(Rubs her face in frustration and confusion)

I don’t need anyone telling me what I should do or not.


MARY
Um, isn’t that what your husband does for you all the time?


NORA:
I-I don’t know. I mean my husband just wants the best for me, but-

WILL:
You feel like you can’t do anything for yourself...right?

NORA:
Well my husband does call me his squirrel, but I know he means it in the most sweetest way.

(Nods continuously as if reassuring herself.)

MARY
(Disbelieving what Nora stated)

Are you sure about that or is he just underestimating your dignity?

NORA:
I have never thought about it that way.

(Nora pauses)

Now that I think about it we have never once had a serious conversation, just me and him.

(A long pause between the characters)

WILL
I think this is where I leave. It was nice to meet you Nora, and you as well Mrs. Wollstonecraft.

MARY
I guess it was nice meeting you too, Will. And.. you can call me Mary. So long stranger.

NORA
Goodbye, and thank you for your company!


ACT 1 SCENE 2

INT. NORA AND MARY LEAVE THE TRAIN ShORTLY AFTER WILL.

MARY
Before we depart I wanted to say to just think about yourself and who you are. Look at me, I left and found my true calling as a writer without a man telling me what I can and can not do. And,

(Mary clears her throat)

I want to apologize for being so intrusive in the relationship with your husband.

NORA
There’s really no need, I actually need to thank you for opening my eyes more. I can see the meaning of you telling me what I haven’t noticed after the time I have been with my husband. But I’m still not certain.

MARY
I’m glad.

(Mary nods her head and smiles)

NORA
Thank you Mary, you remind me of a good friend of mine. She is also an independent woman, and thinking about the both of you makes me realize that. maybe, I could be independent too.

(Short pause between Nora and Mary)

Well, I believe I must get going. My husband should be waiting for me. It was nice meeting you Mary!

(Nora turns and begins to walk away, but is stopped by Mary.)

MARY
Nora! Just a minute please. You feel you should know, whatever you decide to do for yourself, Nora, you do as an independent woman, at least. Please remember that.

NORA PAUSES AND TAKES IN WHAT MARY HAD SAID. NORA THEN SMILES AND NODS. MARY EXTENDS HER HAND OUT TO SHAKE HANDS WITH NORA. NORA SHAKES MARY’S HAND. BOTH LEAVE IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.

END SCENE.

Comments