Helping Children with the Help of Horses

Over the last summer of 2019, I volunteered at a non-profit organization called T.H.E. Center. It is a place where children and adults with disabilities or special needs go to for therapeutic horseback riding. Working their was something I thought I was never going to do.

The time I spent there wasn't easy in the beginning. It was a little scary to be around a horse, since you had to be careful around them. The people their had a system that I had to understand and adjust to. Eventually I understood what needed to be done, and got along with the workers there. Some were easier to be around more than others, but all of them were kind enough to help me learn. Below is an image of Cassy. She was a horse I spent a lot of time with. I groomed her, prepared her for riding, and lead when a camper was riding her.

ALL (2019) Cassy Waiting to be Ridden

I learned the behavior of horses, Cassy especially, what can scare them, how to be safe around them, and how to control them. Every horse that was there had a personality of its own. Some of the horses there were nice and some were really smart! Everyone I worked with had a love for these horses and I didn't think I could become one of those people. I hope to volunteer there next summer!

ALL (2019) Grooming and Preparing Cassy for Riding

Here is a link to their website!

Comments