Aware of Self-Harm

For our final action project in Rhetoric, we had to create an art piece that would unite a group of people together. We had to find a issue that affected the world today. We looked at several art pieces that addressed an issue, to inspire work, and visited the MLK Living Memorial in Marquette Park Chicago, IL.

ALL, Clinging in Pain (2019)













ARTIST STATEMENT

I am a junior in my artist year at GCE Lab School, and was assigned to make an art piece that would unite a group together about an issue. Through this art piece, I am trying to show that Self-harm affects thousands of people. All of these people, are struggling with self-harm and are struggling to hold on to life, which is represented by the string. Today, someone who self-harms isn't treated the same way as someone facing depression/ or has attempted suicide.

I have self-harmed in my past, and know many people that have or still self-harm. I want people to be aware that there are several people in the world that self-harm. 3% to 38% in adolescents and young adults self-harm. With this art-piece, I want people to be aware that self-harm should be taken just as seriously as suicide and depression. Studies of high school students indicated prevalence rates of self-harm in this population ranged from 13% to 24%. Self-harm is usually a early onset sign of depression or other mental illnesses.

This topic is very important because it has affected me and my family. My sister began self-harm before she attempted suicide. Had I been aware of the fact that she was self-harming, I would've told my family, and informed the school counselor.

I used watercolor to show the detail of the cuts on the arms and wrists. I really wanted the cuts to stand out. To be the first thing that you see. I made the string a bold color as well, to show that life (the string) is so important. I want this displayed out on the street so that anyone out the street can see. Anyone that sees this will understand the message that I am trying to convey.

Thank you for reading my blog post and for checking out my artwork.

Comments