Short Story Storyboard, and Concepts

For this last term, I chose to do an independent study that focused on one question. What is the animation process like? A goal that I had set for this term was to create an animated short that was around 1 to 2 minutes long. Unfortunately, I did not take a lot of the important steps to make an animation into consideration. A lot of work is done planning and scripting an animation. Here is an image of some of my storyboarding visuals I made. A lot of direction is needed when creating an animation board.

ALl (2020)
ALL (2020)
ALL (2020)
ALL (2020)

ALL (2020)
ALL (2020)
Unlike a regular storyboard, an animation board focuses on the timing and order of movement. Animators need to make it clear what they want to happen next in their story. I used numbers to mark the order of events of movements that are taken at the same angle. Anything with two of the same number means that the motions are happening at the same time. Here is a first draft of the storyboard, when the story was headed in a different direction.

ALL (2020) First draft Storyboard

Below is an image of the main characters in my animation short. Further below are early concepts of the two, before I had finalized an idea for a story. The names I have chosen for them are Vincent (right), and Alex (Left). The story is about the two meeting for the first time and learning each other's biggest secret. As you can see, both cover one of their eyes. To the audience and to each other, this may seem like a choice of style. The truth is Vincent covers one of his eyes to avoid the attention his different colored eyes attract. Alex covers her eye, because of the appearance it has after an accident she was in.

A fully colored version of characters. ALL (2020)

ALL (2020) Practices of characters in different settings and positions in the final design.
ALL (2020) Earliest sketch of characters

I still have yet to finish the story and sketch out how the whole story will continue. I am hoping to spend my next term, finishing the storyboard and animating it. Thank you for viewing my work!

Comments