Redesigning Logan Square

It is the final semester of my junior year, and this is my final action project for my STEAM class, Urban Planning. We spent this term learning what good urban planning is, and how to make our cities more sustainable. We studied the 7 principles from Peter Calthrope's ted talk and implemented it into our designs. For this project, we had to redesign an area of our choosing.
In the second slide below, you can see a top view image of the area that I have chosen to redesign. This area is right by the Logan Blue Line station in Chicago. As you can see, the area has no places to sit or relax. There are only evenly distributed trees throughout the lot. The total area of the lot is around 7,620.6 ft^2. I thought there is a lot of potential for this area since a lot of people use the blue line, and because of all the nearby public spaces. There is a theater, and restaurants near the station, which means the new area could gain attention quickly.



I interviewed someone who lives by the area and asked how often they travel using the blue line or bus stations by the logan square station. "I frequently travel by the station on the bus, but I never travel on the blue line or the logan square station," I asked them what they think about redesigning the area, and what they might want to see in a new design. "I think it would be nice if there were more places to sit." I followed this response with another question which was if there were places to sit, would you stop by the station and sit there? They said that they would probably wouldn't unless there was something more engaging since they did not have a reason to be at the station or the area there.

My main goal, when I was designing the area, was to be able to keep the green effect that was already a part of the area. This is one of the important principles of Peter Calthorpe's 7. Preserve, meaning to keep the natural ecologies, agrarian landscapes, and cultural heritage sites.” Even if the trees are not a part of a specific culture or heritage, it's original purpose was to create a green space. In the final design, there are more appealing green spaces with trees than in the previous design. You can see the design on the third slide.

The second design I added were places to walk. I did not have a lot of space to add more walkways, but there are still paths to walk on. This is Calthrope's second principle in design, known as Walk.

I wanted to have this area appeal to a broad audience. I wanted to make sure young adults and scenarios can enjoy the area. To keep both audiences' appeal, I added two areas that are mostly closed off and secluded. They are glass domes that are shaped like a semicircle. This will allow anyone to have the space to relax and even take shelter from the rain. 

The domes have a volume of 16,907.91 ft^3. They are 10 feet tall because they want the spaces to be closed off but still feel spacious. My hope is that the domes can act as a greenhouse for the flowers inside, and create a comfortable warmth for anyone inside. The pods inside the dome can fit one or more persons and can face any direction. The principal that I believe this relates to most from Caltrhope's 7 is Mix. The principle of creating mixed-use and mixed-income neighborhoods.

I added a center between the two domes where people can sit. I did not draw the shadows of the trees, but the idea is that the trees stretch out and are tall enough to create shade for anyone sitting underneath them. The center circle has a volume of around 634.05 ft^3. When I had finished drawing the domes and the centerpiece, I still had space left. I wasn't sure what I to put there, because I didn't want to just fill it when trees. So on one side, I placed tables sot that there were more areas to sit. 

I was going to put tables on the other side as well but realized that there was a perfect opportunity to place a proper welcome to those who are entering or leaving the blue line station. It is not easy to see, but the blue squares in the top right corner of the area are letters. They spell out the word Logan. You can see it on the third slide. I put the sign there because it is right where people enter and leave the station. With the sign there, people will see the sign and maybe take an interest in the area behind it. The sign will hopefully be engaging and encourage not only those who use the blue line but those who go by the blue line like my interviewee. The Sign is 29.5276 ft long, 9.84252 ft wide, and 6.5 ft tall. It has a volume of around 1,889.1 ft^3.

A common subject that we always return to in Urban Planning is the Sustainable Development Goals. In this action project, I also focused my design on helping to solve some of the goals of SDG 11. One of the goals of SDG 11 is to provide universal access to safe, inclusive and accessible, green and public spaces, in particular for women and children, older persons and persons with disabilities. With the new design of the Logan Square Blue Line, there is one more gree, accessible, and safe public space.


You can see timelapse of the final design in the last slide, and early sketches of the area in the 5th slide. Two main inspirations I had for the design were from the North and Clybourne station, and the capital one cafes I have visited. I really enjoy the secluded spaces in the capital one cafes. it is very calming and relaxing for me. I wanted to recreate something like that in my design. I also wanted to make sure there were still areas for people to sit down and enjoy the green scene. I was inspired by this from the North and Clybourne Stations.

This project was not easy, but the results are worth it. Although my design can be improved, I am still satisfied with what I was able to come up with. Redesigning the area near the Logan Square Blue Line Station has made me think more about sustainable spaces and what makes good Urban Planning good. Anyone reading should try to think about how the environment around them was designed and how that design affects them daily. What I took away from this project is that we should all think about how we can redesign our communities. 
Thank you for reading my blogpost!

CALCULATIONS

Area of Space : 7,620.55775 ft^2
B x H/2 = A
65 x 126 >>
8,190/2 >> 
4,095
55 x 128.2021 >>
7051.1155/2 >>
3,525.55775
3,525.55775 + 4,095 = 7,620.55775
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Volume of Center Circle (Cylinder) : 634.05 ft^3
PiR^2 x H
Pi(8.2021)^2 x 3 >>
Pi(67.27444441) x 3 >>
211.35 x 3 >>
634.05
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Volume of Hemispherial Domes (Cylindrical) : 16,907.91 ft^3
(PiR^2)/2 x H
(Pi(32.8084)^2)/2 x 10 >>
(Pi(1,076.39111056))/2 x 10 >>
3,381.58/2 x 10 >>
1,690.79 x 10 >>
16,907.91
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Volume of Logan Sign : 1,889.068958088 ft^3
L x W x H
29.5276 x 9.84252 x 6.5 >>
290.625993552 x 6.5 >>
1,889.068958088

Comments