The Tic-Toc Joy Clock

To wrap up our winter term, and ending unit, Time, we designed a unique time-telling device. To get our ideas started, we looked at different time-telling devices that were used in the past, and even today. There are all kinds of time-telling devices, but famously known ones are the constellations that we have identified in our galaxy. We learned about the constellations at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. One time-telling device that I studied in-depth was called the circadian rhythm. It connects to my product and its purpose. Watch the video below to learn more.


The tic-toc joy watch keeps track of time by the minute and the hour. It functions just like a regular watch, keeping track of all 24 hours of the day. My product can be used by almost anyone, although it's intended for those struggling with mental illness. I believe anyone suffering from a mental illness, such as bipolar disorder or depression will benefit from the use of this watch. It will help keep track of emotional states during certain times of the day and will make it easier to recognize emotional patterns. This also makes it easier to recognize common making it easier to identify common patterns.

This is a visual of the Tick-Toc Joy Watch. With the marked measurements, I have calculated the volume of the watch, and the arc length of the prints made with the hands. The volume is 1.125 In. cubed, and the arc length is 1.53 In. You can check my calculations at the end of my blog.


These are the very first ideas I had in designing a clock. The Product that you see and know about now is very different from the original idea. The designs were thought of only as timers because I could only think of them functioning for a short period. After being asked the question, what purpose does my clock serve? I realized that these timers have the same purpose as any other timer.




I suddenly had the idea to create a time-telling device for that not only tracked minutes and hours but the time of events. In the image below, you can see that the tick-toc joy clock is intended to keep track of three major emotions. Not all the emotions that I have listed in concept design were put in the final. In this concept, love was an option. From the video, you can see that it is not in the final design. I also wanted to make sure that this design was inclusive to as many people as possible. That is why I added shapes for the hands of the watch as an alternative to the colors.


After creating this visual, I had decided to finalize my design. I had a peer provide feedback on my product, and was told to explain how the product worked with more detail. They also told me to elaborate more on how to use it. With this feedback, I made sure that my video advertisement would explain how the product works, and how to use it.

Some problems I faced during the design was how some parts of the clock would function. I realized that the time on the blank sheets do not distinguish whether time was marked in AM or PM. This meant that when a user marks an emotion they felt at 6, they may not be able to distinguish whether or not they marked it during the AM and PM period. I had to create the idea of a small conveyer belt rotating the AM and PM sheets at the right time of day, which is explained in the video.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF CLOCKS

The earliest method of telling time was using the sundial. It was able to keep track of the hours of the day using the sun and a gnomon. A gnomon is an angled stick that creates a shadow when the sun hits it. It was used by ancient Egypt and Iraq. Until the early 19th century, sundials were made more accurately and used by Romans and greeks.

Mechanical clocks were later invented in the 13th century. The oldest working clock is called the Salisbury Cathedral and has no dial. Over time, clocks became more accurate and used all over the world. A special clock was invented for people that travel great distances, by a man named John Harrison. The clock was always within 3 seconds of real-time. Today, we have clocks that are portable and can understand what time zone they are in, without being manually changed.

Even though the sundial is the oldest time-telling device, we have always had our very own internal clock. The circadian rhythm controls our behavior at certain times. It tells us when to do basic things, such as sleep, eat, and drink. There are many other things that are affected by the circadian rhythm with our emotions being one of them. Of course, we do not feel certain emotions at certain times of the day, but there are consistencies in the times when certain hormones are released.

This is where some of my design has been inspired from. Our circadian rhythm is the oldest clock that we have used, and it's important for us to try and understand it. This watch can bring everyone a step closer to understanding their own circadian rhythm.

I really enjoyed designing this clock, and hope that maybe the idea can come to life. I have learned a lot more about designing something, and clocks themselves. This project reminds me of my earlier class called Design and Engineering. In the course, we improved the design of a bike, and now we are creating a time-telling device. Here is a link to me and my partner's bike design. I hope that you have learned a little more about not only clocks but time-telling devices in general. Thank you for reading my blog.

CALCULATIONS

The volume of the Watch : 1.125 In.^3

W x L x H = V >>

V = 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.5 >>
V = 2.25 x 0.5 >>

V = 1.125 In.^3
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Arc Length of Arc Angle : 1.53 In.

Arc L = Angle in Radians x Radius >>

X = (135/180 x Pi) x 0.65 >>
X = 0.75 x Pi x 0.65 >>
X = 0.4875 x Pi

X = 1.53 In.

Comments